DRU NEWSLETTER – SEPTEMBER 2015
Energetic principles of Dru Yoga
Understanding and applying the principles described below helps in the process of deep transformation while practicing Dru Yoga.
- Energy can become blocked in the spine and all joints of the body. From the joints the blocked energy can go deeper into the muscles and eventually into the internal organs.
- When the joints are locked energy is blocked therefore all joint must be soft. When you hold a posture it is held softly, not in a rigid form. You will then realise that you recruit the postural muscles.
- Al Dru yoga movements should originate from the spine. Stiffness in the spine is the main cause of energy block and therefore, the spine should be encouraged to move.
- Every Dru yoga posture should be considered as a flowing sequence incorporating the spine and core muscles.
THOUGHT FOR THE MONTH
“The difference between healthy and unhealthy energy can be summarized as follows:
Healthy energy s flowing, flexible, dynamic, balanced, soft, associated with positive feelings. Unhealthy energy is stuck, frozen, rigid, brittle, hard, out of balance, associated with negative emotions.
…. There are strong indications that energy is more powerful than matter. Studies in longevity, for example, examine why some people live to a healthy old age. Their secret isn’t good genes, diet, not smoking, or even exercise, beneficial as all those things may be. The highest correlation for reaching ninety or hundred years of age in good shape is emotional resilience, the ability to bounce back from life’s setbacks. That fits neatly with one of the qualities of healthy energy: flexibility.’
Reinventing The Body, Resurrecting The Soul by Deepak ChoprA
POSTURE OF THE MONTH
VIRABHADRASANA (Warrior 2)
This posture will build strength and stamina bringing qualities of stability, endurance and determination. A great posture to do if you are facing a challenging situation or meeting, reducing your stress levels and giving you added confidence. The chest area is expanded, the core stability is strengthened, the gluteus muscles and quadriceps are given a good workout.
Stand in Tadasana (Mountain pose) establishing a firm connection with the earth.
- Adopt a wide stance. Turn your right foot out to the side. Move your left heal to 60 degree angle. Watchpoint – check that your right heal is in alignment with the medium point of the left foot. Check that you can move your body to the right side with no discomfort to the knees or hips.
- (Facing forward) Drawing your arms up the front of the body (in breath) and smoothly move the arms out to the side (at shoulder height with palms facing upwards).
- Moving from the hips turn your torso to the right, bend the right knee (making sure the knee is directly over the ankle). In a flowing movement raise the arms until the palms meet overhead.
- As you breathe in, simultaneously release the arms to shoulder height and straighten the right leg. Breathe out and return to the posture. Repeat 3 times, before holding posture for about 30 seconds with arms stretched upwards. Take this moment to move your awareness to the strength that is called upon to provide stability and balance required for this posture.
- If your shoulders, neck and/or arms are hurting from holding in this posture or you suffer from high blood pressure you can release the arms so the hands are together in Namaste in front of the forehead with the elbows bent.
- Release the arms to shoulder height, rotate the torso back to facing forwards, allow the arms to come down and eventually relax the body into a forward bend, releasing the spine and allowing gravity to extend the spine and relax the head. Breathe into and enjoy this extension, allowing any tension in the lower back to release. Eventually bring the feet back to hip distance apart, soften the knees, engaging the core muscles, slowly, very slowly rebuild the spine vertebra by vertebra to standing position.
- Take a moment to settle the body and concentrate on deepening the breath. Repeat the posture to the left.
Watchpoints – keep your shoulders relaxed and avoid locking any joints. Your back foot should be firmly placed when in position. Maintain a mild contraction of the lower abdominal muscles in order to safeguard the lower back. Health considerations – People with glaucoma, detached retina, high blood pressure, pregnancy or heart condition should not perform this posture. Better to avoid this posture during the first three days of the menstrual cycle or avoid a wide stance.
CLASS DATES AND PLANS
Classes will take place every Thursday this month from 6.30pm until 7.45pm at Green Hammerton village hall. £4 per session – no booking required.
The Monday yoga outdoor sessions have now finished with the last session on Monday 31 August. Sadly the weather played its part in disrupting the continuity of these sessions but has not put me off offering them next year. Maybe I will start them earlier in the year and consider options for those wet days. I am still pondering offering a later class during the week – it would be helpful to know if there is any interest in this idea. Please either contact me via email email@example.com or by Facebook, (see below)
Due to time constraints, it is often difficult to include a meditation section into our usual Thursday class. This is a very specialized area and teaching only 10 minutes on it, simply does not do it justice. In light of this, I will be planning on offering a new class in New Year focusing on meditation. It is likely it will be held once per month and will be for 2 hours including techniques and skills in which to practice at home. I would love to know whether this is a class you would be interested in joining.
Facebook: search for Jenni’s Dru Yoga
The annual Om Yoga show takes place at Alexandra Palace, London. N22 7AY on 23,24 & 25 October. For more details please follow my facebook.
This week is was so sad to hear of the death of Dr Wayne Dyer from a heart attack at the age of 75 years. Dr Dyer is an internationally renowned author and speaker in the field of self-development. He is the author of more than 40 books, has created numerous audio programs and videos and has appeared on thousands of television and radio shows. I recommend you have a look at his work either on You Tube or on his website www.DrWayneDyer.com
The qualities of creativity and genius are within you, awaiting your decision to match up with the power of intention. Dr Wayne Dyer