Thousands of blogs will probably be taking their focus on reflection of 2014 at this moment in time. There is great value in celebrating the past and recognising your achievements. We must take our learning from the past but we must be careful not to wallow too long, it can blind us to the possibility of now. Yoga allows us to empower ourselves with the present, the true gift of the New Year for yourself.
The ideal asana to allow us to simply stop and reflect after this very busy time is Tadasana (Mountain Pose), a noble grounding asana. It’s simplicity hides its true value and power of allowing everyone just ‘to be’.
TADASANA (Mountain Pose)
This asana is a great way to start your practice or just to take a moment out of the day to realign your body and mind.
- Stand with feet hip distance apart with the toes facing forward with equal weight distributed between the feet
- Soften your knees and make sure your pelvis is in neutral (not tipping forward or back)
- Engage your abdominal muscles to help support your lower back and provide alignment
- Relaxing your shoulders backwards with lift the sternum (breastbone) and open the chest area
- Tucking the chin in slightly, will elongate the neck
- Crown of the head being uppermost
- Ensure all the joints are soft and not locked
- Take a moment – visualise the qualities of a the mountain (stable, secure, majestic and so on)
- With each ‘in’ breath feel the spine lengthening and with the ‘out’ breath release and let go of any unwanted emotions/feelings
- For great benefits do this asana outside taking advantage of the fresh air and sunlight
Dru yoga classes will commence on Thursday 8th January 2015 at 6.30pm until 7.45pm. £4 per person, no booking required. At Green Hammerton village hall.
Watchout for an additional new class starting in February. Also for one off workshops with Dru yoga specialists regarding such topics as stress, back care, meditation, nutrition and many more subjects.